Thursday, April 7

home details

I must confess that I fell in love with our house for it's details.

The house was lived in by only one other family before us.  Sixty years of TLC has given us a house that upon inspection had less wrong with it than a new house (I'm quoting the inspector... I might have had biased ears...).  There's so much handy work evident in the house, all the latches still work, the original door knobs and light fixtures are still here and pretty.  Lots of built-ins, original wood floors throughout.  We have two huge elm trees that somehow are still here.

I had dreamed up this adorable picture of this adorable old couple who loved this house before us.  From what I gather from our neighbors, who've all been very friendly, the previous owners were a bit... odd.  Odd as in the woman scrubed the front sidewalk daily with a sponge and the man mowed (the push kind) daily.  Hm, still bet they were adorable.  And any old couple who paints the front door of their cedar shake home turquoise must be pretty with it.


Of course I'd love our front door if it was a different color too.


Can anyone say "Anthropologie" or "Restoration Hardware?"  Every single door (and there's a lot of them, a couple not necessary) in the house has glass knobs.  I smile every time I look at one, especially with my LL Bean boating tote hanging from it.


Then there's the original latches and handles, still operating, still looking old, but old in a very "in" way.



The house's shelving uses this little system below.  Of course I monkeyed around with varying the heights of all our our shelving, only to decide I liked how it was when we got here.


Look at this little adorable hand broom we found in the kitchen.


Of course the cedar shakes have great layered detailing.  And look at the spigot!  Is it beyond strange that I even like our spigot?


Anytime you would like to send us mail.....  It'll be waiting for us here.



Here's hoping that many of our home's details are still to come, like hydrangea blooms!

No comments:

Post a Comment