Wednesday, June 8

my {craft} room


So I've had some surprised responses to my "craft" room.  Apparently it's unheard of, perhaps silly.  Honestly, I just don't see why.  Let's think about it.  Most homes have an office; we have one and I associate it with working.  What's funny about an office is that really, all it needs it a computer, desk and chair.

(You're thinking I missed bookshelf and books, but now that I hear kids are getting IPads instead of textbooks, I'm pulling all my stock out of paper.  Which I'm sad about, who doesn't love turning a page, writing in the margins and color coding quotes?  And can't we just have one aspect of our lives that is not seen through a screen?  Seriously.  I digress.)

The important point here is while working in an office requires little "stuff" to be functional, this is not the case with crafting.  Oh my word.  First of all, each and every project, whether it's sewing, painting or scrapbooking requires many materials, organization and space.  And they're incredibly frustrating to pack up and move, so much so that when I didn't have a craft room, I'd a lot of times forgo crafting all together.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have area to spread out fabric, paper, canvas, etc.?  And wouldn't it be a dream to be able to leave it where it is and come back to it later, not having to pack up when you want to eat on the table?  Don't you think you could get so many more things done?

This is why we need craft rooms.  Here's mine, it needs a bit more "stuff" but here's what it has so far.


I know, enough with the door knobs.... I just love them.  Other loves include:

- The steamer trunk I bought from an antique store for $30, which has its original ad glued inside.  The store owner explained the trunk belonged to his elderly neighbor, whose father's name and travels are listed on the trunk's exterior.  Anyway, it's great storage I use it for the quilts I making that are in process.

- Lots of fabric like white muslin.

- M's grandpa's old red cooler.  Therm-a-chest!

- M's dad's suitcase when he was a kid.

- Distressed painted frames I found on the side of the road.  Yes, free stuff!

- Martha Stewart!  And Teddy Girl.

3 comments:

  1. I completely agree! A craft room is a must! hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, love it! What a beautiful little craft haven! And if a baby is in the cards, you're just a sewing machine away from a nursery! OMG!!! Think about what an amazing crib that steamer trunk could make!

    PS—I've got a Therm-a-Chest just like yours, except mine is sort of a lime green. What do you use yours for? Mine is full of sea shells LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. haven't really found a purpose for the therm-a-chest beyond it looking cool. i suppose i could actually use it as a cooler;) I like the sea shells idea! Might have to look into that...

    ReplyDelete