Saturday, June 11

what we ate



I make banana bread often.  Normally, I forget to eat a bundle, find them all brown and hurting, and end up making something good from the ugly fruit.  (Yes, I'm resisting the lemons to lemonade line... or am I?)

The bread is good.  Real good.  And you can justify eating it because I've cut out the butter from the recipe and honestly, you'll taste absolutely no difference.  Especially if you pour into the batter a the load of chocolate chips... this is an optional, but recommended, addition!

Banana Bread to Remember
(Yields One 9"x13" Loaf)

3 to 4 ugly bananas
2 eggs
1 tbsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup white sugar (1/2 cup sugar substitute + 1/2 cup regular to cut sugar works well too)
2 cups flour (preferably whole wheat to kick up the healthy factor)
optional: 1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
optional: dash of salt

I've listed the ingredients in the order I add them.

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Before mashing bananas, place them in the microwave for 30 seconds to ensure smooth batter.
Working up to the flour, add the eggs,

You know how you start making something so much that you end up eye-balling measurements, sneaking in more sugar and chocolate and pretty soon you don't even know the recipe you began with?  I confess.  A couple months ago I made a loaf that I swear had so much sugar in it I was chewing on sugar granules.  That bread was a cry for help and since then I've gone back to basics, rediscovered measuring cups and my original recipe.  Enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment