Wednesday, September 7

what we ate


Fall apples yield cake! 
Of course, what do you think they are for... eating without additional sugar?  Ha.
I modified a recipe I found on trusty Cooks.com, and here's what I came up with:

Fall Apple Cake
For those of us who associate fall with guilty indulgence!  So much so, I made a double batch.

batter:
1 1/2 c. flour
2 1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/2 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 egg
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. oil
1 1/2 c. chopped apples, raw

Preheat oven to 325.  In large bowl, mix dry ingredients.  In another, combine egg, milk and oil; pour into dry mixture.  Fold in chopped apples.  Pour into 9x13" greased pan.

Now the good part is what I added.
The Cooks recipe calls for an icing, but I replaced it with homemade caramel dolloped onto the batter before baking.
caramel:
1/4 c. brown sugar
2 tbsp. flour
1 tbsp. butter
1/2 tsp. cinnamon


The caramel creates pockets of heaven within the cake.
Cook for 30 minutes.
So far September is tasting pretty, pretty good.

1 comment:

  1. YUM, Britt!! This is inspiring! My coworkers and I were JUST talking about apples today ... this is one I will HAVE to try!

    ReplyDelete