Friday, August 12

voila, take it design sponge.

Hello there.  Do you ever find yourself in the car, spacing out (hopefully not too much), only to land your eyes on free furniture on a curb that has no home, but a lot of potential?

Here's the found free chair.
(It's a little tired.)
Initially, I thought I could strip the existing varnish and stain the chair's frame a dark brown to hide the wood's imperfections.  Well, it wasn't that successful and after too much intake of toxic fumes (never going to get those brain cells back... wondering if I was using them anyway..?) I gave up.

Back-up plan?  Paint.  I love paint.  I love painted furniture.  Always looks great.

So I knew I wanted to upholster the seat and back with navy and white mattress ticking, seeing as it's my favorite fabric of all time.  I chose a neutral warm, oatmeal-y color for the frame, Martha Stewart's "Snail Shell"and well, voila!
Some details.
Cost of upholstery: ($4 in fabric, $4 in piping)
I love these two fabrics together.
Cost of frame paint: ($11, although I used very little and plan to use the rest in various other projects.)
 Do you like all the materials going on?  Kind of digging the mix of wicker baskets, brick, white wood work, and of course, the chair.
Total cost of project, I figure is roughly $10.  (Considering how much paint actually went into it; the only other materials used were staples and fabric glue.)
I've got the upholstering bug.  It's so fun and gratifying!
Do you happen to have any old, beat-up, ugly furniture you don't want?  Do you yourself dumpster dive or scout out garage sales?  I may never buy furniture again.... But please don't hold me to that;)

1 comment:

  1. I just re purposed some chairs too! They are from Craigslist, such a steal and I love them!Yay for reawakening furniture!

    ReplyDelete