Sunday, May 15

green(ish) thumb


Unfortunately, Blogger had a meltdown last week and this post was deleted... I've tried to recreate it!
Ok.... so my ability to garden has yet to be seen.  In our first month as yard keepers, we've mostly done the post winter-thaw maintenance... picked up sticks, racked up very wet leaves, cleaned off bushes, re-seeded patches of the lawn, fertilized.  (Oops I confess, we've yet to fertilize but we've bought the supplies!  The eco/pet friendly kind, though we may not need it after looking at the health the rain has brought to our grass.)  My life is a glamorous one and suspect it'll get even more glitsy, and by glitsy, dirty!

Our local Ace hardware store loves us, or they should.  We've been frequent visitors.  When you buy a house and sign over the next x amount of years of your life to attentive home keeping, you walk out of the mortgage office all, "Yay!  We're done!  We win!"  only to realize that your washer and dryer vibrate so much that when in use you must duct tape their doors shut to get a load done, or that much of the fresh paint on all your walls were poured down your sink, or that all your outlets are two prong and you need three.  But, seriously, all in all, houses are fun and any little trials are learning opportunities... right?

Well I have a lot of learning to do about gardening, but I'm eager.  A dear friend gave me this book:

{adorable cover, right? very thumb-printy}

So far I'm loving it.  Did you know that there are growing "zones" and that you should know your zone before picking out your plants?  No use to buying something beautiful that won't survive in your soil, climate, or sun conditions.  Essentially, the book gives you a breakdown of all the very helpful things to know before committing time and money to your garden.

Here's a bit of an intro to our growing environment.  Welcome to our backyard!




















  

When I initially posted this, I received numerous comments on our push mower.  Yes, it's pretty old, but yes it works!  And yes it was free!  And it's sustainable chic!...Right?  I actually love it, though this praise is coming from the one who hasn't mowed the lawn yet.  It's really wonderful to not worry about gas and maintenance only requires an ACE visit every few seasons for blade sharpening.

As you can see our backyard is sloped to the west, which is great for viewing the sunset from the house each evening.  There's a couple levels of retaining walls that greatly define the yard and I'm really excited to figure out our landscaping and patio plans this summer.  I'm waiting to do most of my planting until I see just how shady the yard gets with our two big elms filled out with their wonderful green canopies.

The extent of my gardening at the soma home has been potting herbs.  I've read that growing herbs is just about the easiest thing in the world, yet, I've already made (and corrected) some screw-ups.  Firstly, I've broken a Dirt Cheap Green Thumb rule by starting with plants and not seeds... for what I spent on a single plant, I could've bought a packet of seeds and had dozens of plants.  But I needed herbs for cooking now, and wasn't too confident I do a great job with starting from scratch.  So I bought young plants.  The second mistake I made was to buy a couple plants that looked a little ill, because that's all Home Depot had and I was impatient.  Well, they ended up having bugs!  G-ross.  So, I started over.  Also, huge blooper; I had it in my mind that I was supposed to put rocks over the drainage holes in the bottom of my terra cotta pots to "slow down" excess water leaving the herbs' soil.  What a brilliant idea!  No, not really.  Apparently, this promotes mold in your soil and plants... I have evidence.  Anyway, I'm finally on the other side, with healthy plants and a bit more green thumb knowledge.

My next green thumb challenge is taking a stem from one of our hydrangea bushes and creating new plants from my cutting.  I may or may not update you on the success of this endeavor, depending on how embarassing the result!


9 comments:

  1. Did the previous owner leave you that mower? No wonder he used to mow so often! (Though it is a cutie).

    ReplyDelete
  2. no it's from mike's dad... but it works! haha, i personally like it, very eco-chic;) (of course, this is coming from the person who has yet to mow with it....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog. LOVE it! SO jealous!

    I'm a big fan of Ace too! But I don't think the relationship is mutual. Berbatim exchange: "Do you carry herb garden rakes?" "We carry regular rakes..."
    Customer service lol.

    What kind of rake do you use for your smaller gardens?

    ReplyDelete
  4. we have that same mower and love it, even though it takes a few times over to get an even cut...I had to wait a year to really get my hands dirty in our garden (because of all the bedrest last summer) and I'm really glad I did in retrospect. Now I know the shady and sunny parts of our lawn and what the plants that were already there look like. Have fun planning your yard!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hm, well, we have this "mini garden rake".... i believe that's its actual name. it basically looks like a regular garden rake only half as long. the most difficult raking we've had was getting around bushes and rocks to get to leaves that have been there for about three months... the rake worked well(ish)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Huh. I'll have to check out a "mini rake"! Is it like this?

    http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5220/5536217098_e28793ac68.jpg

    The picture showed up really small for me, so it's kinda hard to see, but that's actually a baby, not a guy, so the rake is pretty much baby-sized. That's what I'm looking for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. this one isn't exactly what we have, but looks better (i think)!

    http://www.farmhomesupplycenter.com/FLEXRAKE-Classic-Long-Reach-Hand-Rake/M/B001JJZLQY.htm

    this one is very similar to ours:

    http://www.deerso.net/Ames-Co.-1921000-True-Temper-Collector/M/B001D6YVRS.htm

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! I never wrote down the name of your rake!! Was it just "Little Rake"? Or "Lil' Rake" or something? I keep googling it, but I can't find the right thing anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this one is similar to what we have: http://www.farmhomesupplycenter.com/FLEXRAKE-Classic-Long-Reach-Hand-Rake/M/B001JJZLQY.htm

    i bet these wisk rakes were great too:
    http://www.yardlover.com/hand-held-whisk-rake

    ReplyDelete