Wednesday, May 25

what we ate

Lately, I've been eating like it's summer, sure that if I do, the weather will cooperate.  It's been so great to have hours of daylight after work and we've taken advantage of them by grilling and eating en plein air out on the lawn.  Below are a couple recipes we use weekly:


Summer Greens with Lemon Pepper Dressing
Inspired by Jamie Oliver's "Food Revolution" cookbook, I've been making homemade salad dressing in canning jars for a couple months.  I'll never buy store versions again, especially because you won't find high fructose corn syrup in my ingredient list!

3/4 c. olive oil
1/4 c. lemon juice
1/3 c. parmesan cheese, grated
crushed peppercorns to taste
1 garlic clove or powder
paprika or red pepper flakes
1/4 t. oregano (or 2 rosemary sprigs)
optional: 3/4 t. sea salt
optional: 1/4 t. sugar

Everything about this recipe can be adapted; well, except for the oil!  I don't like extra virgin olive oil's strong flavor, so I use straight olive oil.  Also, many of the recipes I've found include salt and sugar, which I omit.  I either pair garlic with oregano, or add rosemary on its own.  And I push the limits with the amount of lemon juice and parmesan I put in, because I love both so much.


Anyway, add all ingredients in medium Ball jar, add cap and shake.  Serve over romaine lettuce and pair with grilled chicken, which for heightened flavor can be marinated in the salad dressing before grilling.  Be sure to brush on the dressing too while its on the grill.  Dressing keeps refrigerated one week.


berry smoothie

Nothing is better than a smoothie.  And considering it's easy to make, gratification is almost immediate.  Really no need to measure or be finicky with ingredients, there's just too many great options.

1 mango
6 strawberries
1 small banana
1/2 c. pineapple
1 1/2 c. vanilla yogurt (or frozen)
optional: splash of orange juice

{or}

1/2 c. raspberries
1/2 c. blackberries
1/4 c. blueberries
1 1/2 c. vanilla yogurt (or frozen)

{or}

2 T. almond extract or honey
1 1/2 c. vanilla frozen yogurt
optional: chopped lavendar

Last week, I broke my blender with frozen fruit, so be patient and let them thaw before blending!  Boo.  Also, the last smoothie is my summer take on milk steamers, don't you love almond?  Yum!

1 comment:

  1. Forget the smoothies, that dressing looks good enough to drink!!

    ReplyDelete